Veterans Day is observed as a holiday to thank all those who honorably served in the military. And it is always observed every year on November 11 and has been a federal holiday since 1926. So, for this year and (maybe) the coming years, we did our research and compiled the list for Veterans Day 2020 Deals for the Military. I believe that this is a great way of thanking our Veterans for their service and loyalty to the country and for protecting us all.
Free Meals and Drinks for the Military
During Veterans Day, our family would always visit a restaurant and we would get either a free or discounted meal. We felt so much appreciated! But with the pandemic, there might be some changes to current offerings and freebies for the Veterans and Active Duty Military. Most of the restaurants offer free meals for Veterans Day 2020. But for some, they only have a specific percentage off your meal and retail purchases. And most establishments will require you to show your Veterans or Active Duty Military ID.
Hence, big big thank you to the restaurants for doing this for our veterans and their families.
For more in-depth information on specific restaurants : https://www.military.com/veterans-day/restaurants-veterans-day-military-discounts.html
Veterans Day 2020 Retail Deals
Most retail stores, especially here in San Diego, CA offer discounts and deals for the Military (must present a valid Military ID). Both Home Depot at Target offer 10% off for Military starting November 1 to 11. Office Depot and OfficeMax offer 25% off their purchases from November 11 to 13. And my favorite is Qalo because they offer a free wedding band from their U.S. Military Silicone Ring Collection. Also, Microsoft offers up to 10% off select products for active, former, and retired military personnel and their families. Delivery supported to APO/FPO.
Veterans Day 2020 Travel and Recreation Discounts
Veterans Day is a non-working holiday and what’s the best way to spend it than being with your family and loved ones. So, to have some hotel and travel discounts is amazing! This way, Veterans can visit these places with their families and have a great time:
- Aquarium of the Pacific – Free admission for Veterans and service members on November 11.
- La Quinta by Wyndham – Eligible military members get 12% off the Best Available Rate at participating La Quinta by Wyndham hotels. Plus, Wyndham Rewards members receive 500 bonus points for qualified stays booked by December 7 and completed by December 8, 2020.
- National Parks – Veterans will have access to over 100 National Parks that require entrance fees for free on November 11.
- Seaworld Parks & Entertainment Veterans Discount – Veterans and Active Duty Military can avail free or discounted admission. However, for Veterans Day 2020, please check their website or call ahead for arrangements and bookings due to pandemic restrictions.
- Super 8 by Wyndham – Active and retired military members, veterans and their families can enjoy 15% off the Best Available Rate at participating Super 8 by Wyndham hotels. Plus, Wyndham Rewards members receive 500 bonus points for qualified stays booked by December 7 and completed by December 8, 2020.
- Wyndham Hotels & Resorts – Active and retired military members, veterans, and their families save up to 15%, plus receive 500 Wyndham Rewards bonus points for qualified stays booked by December 7 and completed by December 8, 2020 in celebration of Veterans Day 2020.
Free and Discounted Services for Veterans Day 2020
Veterans and Active Duty Military can avail these free or discounted services for Veterans Day 2020
- SmartStyle Hair Salons – For Veterans Day 2020, current or former military members, veterans, police officers, firefighters, and first responders can avail a 10% discount off any services and professional products. Please show proof of service to receive this special discount.
- Sport Clips Free Haircut – Many locations will offer free haircuts to Active Duty Military and Veterans on Nov. 11, with proof of ID.
- California Southern University – In honor of Veterans Day 2020, California Southern University (CalSouthern), a regionally accredited, 100%-online university with an international student population, is offering free tuition for one course to veterans and active military, their spouses and dependents who enroll between Nov. 1-30, 2020 – representing a value of up to $1,400 for undergraduate courses and $1,700 for graduate courses.
Story Behind Veterans Day
I know it’s so appealing to know about what you can get for free or buy at a discounted rate during Veterans Day. But have you wondered why it is so special? What’s the reason behind Veterans Day?
I read in an article that “on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 an armistice between Germany and the Allied nations came into effect. On November 11, 1919, Armistice Day was commemorated for the first time. In 1919, President Wilson proclaimed the day should be “filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory”. There were plans for parades, public meetings and a brief suspension of business activities at 11am.”
In 1926, the United States Congress officially recognized the end of World War I and declared that the anniversary of the armistice should be commemorated with prayer and thanksgiving. The Congress also requested that the president should “issue a proclamation calling upon the officials to display the flag of the United States on all Government buildings on November 11 and inviting the people of the United States to observe the day in schools and churches, or other suitable places, with appropriate ceremonies of friendly relations with all other peoples.An Act (52 Stat. 351; 5 U. S. Code, Sec. 87a) was approved on May 13, 1938, which made November 11 in each year a legal holiday, known as Armistice Day. This day was originally intended to honor veterans of World War I.
A few years later, World War II required the largest mobilization of service men in the history of the United States and the American forces fought in Korea. In 1954, the veterans service organizations urged Congress to change the word “Armistice” to “Veterans”. Congress approved this change and on June 1, 1954, November 11 became a day to honor all American veterans, wherever and whenever they had served.
“Veterans Day in the United States.” Time and Date, https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/veterans-day#:~:text=Is%20Veterans%20Day%20a%20Public,in%20all%20wars%2C%20especially%20veterans. Accessed 11/02/2020.
Deployed Active Duty Military on Veterans Day
Sadly, not all Active Duty Military can avail the deals and discounts offered on Veterans Day is they are deployed. However, you can send them a card or letter or better yet, a care package to make them feel appreciated. Here’s the ultimate guide for sending a care package.